Thursday, May 24, 2018

Uncertainty & Potential

As I mentioned in my last post, there are a lot of changes on the horizon for me, personally and professionally.  While these changes are things that I knew were possible for several months now, it doesn't take away the fact that now that they are actually happening, there is a lot of excitement and promise, but also a lot of uncertainty and anxiety.

There are a couple of things that are certainly set:  my wife is going to be going to school full time, no job, no income and we know where we are going to live, as we signed a lease on an apartment.  Outside of that, there are a lot of unknowns at this point.  I am still trying to find a job.  I have some prospects, but many of the districts near Reno have just now started posting openings to external candidates, and none of the postings are positions in which I am licensed to teach.  Luckily, the districts near Reno accept applicants that are willing to teach special education while taking classes to obtain a license to teach special education.

To broaden my prospects, I gladly accepted the offer to apply for special education positions.  While I am not licensed to teach special education and while I have never, technically, been a special education teacher, let's face it: if you are in education, you are a special education teacher.  You must work to accommodate your students, regardless if they have an IEP or not.  A special education teacher clearly is going to spend more time in a one-on-one environment with those students that have been identified as special education and they are going to complete the testing and the writing of an IEP, but all teachers must work closely with special education teachers and meet the requirements of the IEP.  At this time, I am ready for the challenge of trying something new and have enrolled in a master's program to complete the licensure requirements.

I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't worried at this point.  School has now ended and I do not know where I will be next fall.  I am confident in my experience and abilities, but not landing a position yet is concerning to me and my mental wellbeing.  Luckily, there are a couple of months still and I have some applications out there, as well as an interview in the coming days.  I will feel a lot better once things have been nailed down. 

This post is a lot shorter than a typically put together, but the ideas I have don't go along with this theme too well.  I will leave those for another post, another day. 

Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment